Friday 3 November 2017

Book Review: The Universe Next Door: A Journey Through 55 Alternative Realities, Parallel Worlds and Possible Futures by New Scientist



I was not sure what to expect with this book. It was similar to other new Scientist books, like ‘why don't penguins feet freeze’ which is probably the best known, so lots of little stories and anecdotes. I preferred ‘why don't penguins feet freeze’ more than this book, partly because I have a greater interest in biology than physics. I think another factor what that other books have explained biological processes, but this book is all theoretical. I do understand that this is the premise of the book, to look at alternative worlds, and theories are backed by science and research, but it just feels like educated guesses and when on a timescale of millions of years it does feel like a waste of time, because there are just too many variables. 
I think this book would be ideal for teenagers interested in physics, science fiction or alternative reality.
Share: