Saturday 19 January 2019

Book Review: Lab Girl by Hope Jahren



I wanted to love this book, after all it is about the life of a female scientist, but I just didn't. I think it was because there was such an emphasis on working every moment of the day in order to make your passion happen, which is commendable but I felt conflicted, as it's an unhealthy attitude for young scientists and has a detrimental affect on your mental health and well-being, but it was nice the author was so honest and didn't shy away from discussing her mental health issues. It's difficult, as I know it's an autobiography, and those are the experienced of the author, but I worry it might put of young women looking for role models and to go into science if this is what is expected of them. 

I did feel it helped highlight the precarious position many researchers find themselves in, there they are reliant on the next grant to pay their wages and there is no job security. I also appreciated how it called out some of the ingrained sexism she experienced. I loved the journey as the authors lab grew and she was able to work all around the world and become an expert in her field. 

Overall, it was a great book and a fascinating topic, and I would recommend to anyone working or studying science or has an interest in labs, and I would love to see more books exploring life in the lab.
Share: